‘Tis the season to gather friends and family for festive celebrations—holiday entertaining is on the horizon. Whether it’s a grand soirée or an intimate holiday dinner, Canadians are ready to raise a glass from Arterra Wines Canada and celebrate the year among cherished friends and loved ones.
Tips for the holiday season
- Delight guests with a crowd-pleasing wine: Survey findings reveal that Canadians have a preference for red wine, with 46 per cent of respondents identifying it as their favourite, followed by white (30 per cent) and then a tie between rosé and sparkling (both 12 per cent).
- As a host, feel free to serve the wine you’re gifted: According to a third of Canadians (33 per cent) —and more than half of Gen Z respondents (52 per cent)— they expect the wine they gift to be enjoyed at the event.
- Splurge a little: If you’re feeling generous, you’re in good company among B.C. residents as they are the most likely Canadians to spend $20 or more on a bottle of wine for a host. But don’t feel like you have to splash out on a gift–affordable wines are a-okay according to the majority of Canadians (55 per cent). So, go ahead and pick up your favourite bottle without worrying about breaking the bank.
- When in doubt, gift a host a bottle of wine: According to almost two thirds of Canadians (62 per cent) wine is the best gift to receive as a host, over flowers or food items.
- Choose some bops that suit the mood: Music has the power to elevate any occasion, so it’s a good idea to curate the perfect playlist, especially if you have Gen Z and millennials in attendance. Ninety-three per cent of this demographic claims a curated wine and music pairing is integral to enhancing any occasion. For a get together with friends pop beats and crowd pleasers are ideal, but for a family gathering consider creating a cozy vibe with jazzy holiday tunes.
No matter what your price point or event, Arterra Wines Canada has great domestic wines that will impress any guest or host.
Black Sage Vineyard 2020 Merlot
Gifting a classic wine is always spot-on. Black Sage Vineyard 2020 Merlot has notes of ripe plums, blackberries, vanilla, cloves, and some sweet smoke. The palate has similar flavours of rich ripe fruit and spices with pleasant smoky vanilla notes. The tannins are soft and the finish is long with flavours lingering long after the last sip.
Steller’s Jay 2018 Mountain Jay Brut
An elegant sparkling for the host with the most. Steller’s Jay 2018 Mountain Jay Brut has aromas of citrus and green apple, with hints of biscuits and semi-toasted almonds providing a long, clean finish.
The majority of Canadians (60 per cent) admit to making a “woo!” sound when they open a bottle of champagne or sparkling wine.
Inniskillin Reserve Pinot Gris VQA
A beautiful white wine for an elegant host, Inniskillin’s Reserve Pinot Gris VQA has notes of juicy stone fruit, peach, apple and delicate florals complemented by bright citrus flavours that balance the full and rich palate.